Harland Eastwood Sr. was pretty much like any other kid while he was growing up. That is, until he lost his right arm in a duck hunting accident at age of sixteen. Faced with the overwhelming challenge of living with only one arm, Harland was not satisfied with just getting by. Instead of getting sympathy from his friends and family, he earned their respect and admiration.  Harland had many interests and talents and managed to excel in almost every endeavor he chose. Things such as mountain climbing, skiing, woodworking, fighting forest fires or just managing his daily routine. If you think that anyone could accomplish these things with one arm, just try tying your shoelaces in a bow or hanging on a ladder and starting a 16d nail a foot above you — all with just one hand. It is not as easy as you might imagine. If you are having trouble just thinking about such things, perhaps this book will help you appreciate

SKU: N/A Category: Tag:



As a writer and storyteller, I am always looking for a good story to put on paper.  The story of my parents is, I believe, such a story.  Ordinarily, this would involve telling the story in the best way I know how and that would be it, but this time it is different.  This time there are really two stories—the story of my parents and another story about how I came to be the author.

As with most stories, I like to start at the beginning.  In this case, the beginning is approximately 1985 when my father started gathering information in preparation for writing his memoirs.  After listening to my father’s (and mother’s) stories while growing up, I recognized a need to make these stories public.  It was about 1986 that I offered to write Dad’s story, however, he was not convinced that I would be the best choice.  It should be noted that, at that time, I had produced but one book (The Kanzler Scrapbook), and I could hardly have been considered a seasoned writer.  While I was disappointed at the time, I must also admit that Dad probably made the right decision.

For nearly ten years, Dad continued gathering photos and other material for his book.  It seems as if Dad’s interests were ever-widening, and he was always exploring another new source of information but never closer to a publication date.  This process continued as long as his health would permit.  Perhaps two or three years before his death, in 1995, Dad realized that he would most likely not finish the project that he had worked on for nearly ten years.  It was about that time that Dad became acquainted with Mr. David Cameron who was and is an accomplished author and historian.  Because of David’s experience, Dad transferred ownership of all his photos and research information to him prior to his death.  This is where our story went into hibernation for about 20 years.

Sometime near the end of 2014, I started thinking about what my next book would be about, having already written some 19 additional books since my first work.  The more I thought about an answer to my question, the more I was reminded of all the stories I had heard my parents tell me as a young boy.  Yes, a book about my parent’s adventures was the answer to my question but only if Mr. Cameron had not already completed Dad’s memoirs.

A few months later I started trying to locate David Cameron, as I did not know where he lived.  It should also be noted, at this time, that I had not met David, and, I was at a disadvantage in locating him.  Finally, I found a current reference that placed David in the small town of Index, Washington.  Through additional research, I was able to obtain an email address.  I composed a letter inquiring if David had ever finished the project that Dad had assigned him prior to his death.  I was encouraged to learn that the project had stalled after David had spent considerable time organizing the material and writing various timelines detailing Dad’s activities.  Initially, I asked David if I could borrow the material long enough to scan it to my computer hard drive and then return it.  Much to my delight, David offered to give me all five boxes of Dad’s material.  The reason was Davis’s small living room where the boxes had been kept for the intervening years.  David even offered to deliver the material to our home in Eastern Washington.  I, of course, said yes!

At that time David had a very busy schedule that included many standing commitments that would take precedence over a possible early delivery date.  Finally, the day came when David and his wife arrived at our front door during the late summer of 2015.  I was absolutely astounded by the abundance of research material and especially the large collection of historic photos.  I combined Dad’s research material with my own collection, which is the story before the story.

For the conclusion of this segment, I will revisit famous radio newscaster, Paul Harvey, and his  popular program, “The Rest of the Story.”  When I was growing up, I remember hearing my parents, especially my Dad, telling about the many adventures of his younger days.  It did not take me long to realize that these stories revealed Dad’s wide range of interests.  One story might be about the time he played quarterback for Galileo High School in the old Kezar Stadium one Thanksgiving Day.  Another story might be about how he and Mom spent their honeymoon at Three Fingers Fire Lookout high in the Cascades, or maybe Dad would tell about the time he was part of a team of mountaineers who went searching for a missing climber on Mt. Rainier.  Maybe it was a story about recovering the body of a man trapped in his truck under a huge avalanche near Snoqualmie Pass or when he and Mom manufactured skiing and mountaineering equipment in their basement.  Yet another story was about the time they were snowed in for six months, while at Stampede Pass, during the winter of 1942-43 working for the AWS.  Other stories would not unfold until I was growing up.  Things like Dad’s offer to the Washington State Ferry System to supply one set of name-boards for the new super-ferry Elwha.  Many of Dad’s exploits were often written up in various newspapers, magazines, trade journals, or similar publications, which I found in Dad’s files.  Another helpful factor was discovering Dad’s notes which aided me in the absence of my now deceased parents.

Another huge factor was the large number of old photographs that Dad or Mom had taken over the years.  Not only did Dad have a large number of old photographs, but I had a fair number of similar photos in my own collection.  The pictures, newspaper articles, and Dad’s notes combined to make an otherwise difficult task a rather enjoyable experience.  All the above stories, plus many more, can be found between the pages of this work.  It is with great pleasure that I invite the reader to curl up in a favorite chair and take a memorable journey through the adventures of a most amazing couple, Harland and Catherine Eastwood, my Mom and Dad.


  • Harland Eastwood
  • Snoqualmie Pass history
  • Helen Bush Ski Lodge
  • National Ski Patrol
  • Sno-Owls Ski Club
  • Stampede Pass
  • Lester, Washington
  • Seattle Ski Club
  • Three Fingers Fire Lookout
  • French Point Fire Lookout
  • Pugh Fire Lookout
  • Verlot Guard Station
  • Milwaukee Ski Bowl
  • Harland Eastwood
  • Harland Eastwood Ski Equipment Company
  • Harland Eastwood ski wax
  • Tom Steinburn
  • Delmar Fadden
  • Mt. Rainier
  • Starbo Mining Camp
  • Laconia, Washington
  • Hi-Valley Garage
  • Big Four Inn
  • Ome Daiber
  • Eddie Bauer
  • Summit Inn
  • Galileo High School
  • Fort McDowell, California
  • Fort Lawton
  • Goat Island
  • Fort Whitman
  • La Conner, Washington
  • Port Townsend, Washington
  • Cary-Davis Tug & Barge Co.
  • Camp Lewis, Washington
  • Lopez Island, Washington
  • 1955 airplane crash at Boulevard Park, Seattle

236 pages with index, numerous photos, and other images

Additional information


Hardcover, Softcover