WILD WEST SALOONS
This is the story of the pre-prohibition saloons in Adams County prior to the start of Washington State Prohibition on January 1st, 1916. From the earliest watering hole that opened in the 1880’s to their decline prior to and at the outset of Washington State Prohibition. Join the author as he opens the doors of each saloon, from Benge to Washtucna.
True stories ripped from the pages of Adams County newspapers and compiled into a complete history of the Wild West Saloons of Adams County.
You will be a silent observer to the bar room brawls and shootings at the less than respectable drink emporiums. Learn how robbers used nitroglycerin to blast open the safe at Angell Bros. Saloon in Ritzville. Read about the bootleggers of that day and their attempts to elude the law.
Relive history when a railcar load of drunken Italian railroad workers shot up the town of Lind. Read how the author’s grandmother marched down main street in Ritzville with the Anti-Saloon League, who opposed the local saloon and how they were finally successful in bringing an end to the Wild West Saloons of Adams County.
The author also provides interesting histories of various organizations whose activities op- posed or promoted Prohibition. Included in this list are:
- Knights Of The Royal Arch
- Anti-Saloon League
- Women’s Christian Temperance Union
- Local Option members
- Temperance League
- Detailed saloon histories are included for the following towns:
- North Hooper
Additional background sketches of local and regional breweries are also included. In fact, readers may be surprised at the prominent role these breweries played in the success or demise of the local saloon. The list of brewer’s include:
- Seattle Brewing & Malting (Rainier Beer)
- Pacific Brewing & Malting (Tacoma, WA)
- North Yakima Brewing & Malting (North Yakima, WA)
- Spokane Brewing & Malting (Spokane, WA)
- Schade Brewing & Malting (Spokane, WA)
- Kalispell Malting & Brewing (Kalispell, MT)
- Galland/Burke Brewing & Malting (Spokane, WA)
- Union Brewery & Malt House (Spokane, WA)
- Inland Brewing Malting (Spokane, WA)
- Olympia Brewing (Olympia, WA)
- Henco Brewing (Spokane, WA)
- Dayton Brewery (Dayton, WA
- New York Brewery (Spokane, WA)
- Sprague Brewery (Sprague, WA)
- Hieber Brewing (Spokane, WA
It should also be noted that the author spent over 40 years looking and digging old bottles in and around mining camps, logging camps, ghost town sites and old homesteads, and has dug many of the old whiskey, beer and soda bottles depicted in this work.
200 pages with index, bibliography and over 300 photographs, advertisements and illustrations.